On Whose Terms?
A rich, young man ran after Jesus, knelt before him and asked, ‘Master, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ Jesus told him to keep the commandments. He said he had kept all the commandments from his youth. Jesus looked at him and LOVED him, then said to him, : ‘you lack just one thing, give up your riches and follow me.’
The Bible records that the young man went away sorrowful because he had great possessions. You can read this story in Mark 10:17-27.
The Bible says in Hebrews 13:28, that we should serve God in an acceptable manner, with reverence and godly fear. Basically, it says that we should serve God in a manner that is acceptable to HIM, not to us.We should serve Him the way that He wants to be served, not the way we feel like.Whether you realise this or not, there is an ACCEPTABLE way to serve God.
1. Giving demonstrates your love for the Lord.
2. Giving is a sign of your control over money.
3. Giving breaks the hold of greed in your life.
4. If you can buy a pair of shoes for $500, but can’t give $500, money is your master.
5. Never complain about what you give. Give only what you have. Give joyfully. Give without pressure. Don’t pledge money you don’t have.
6. The offering plate is not a slot machine or a Gambling Point. If you want your money multiplied, give it to Bernie Madoff.
7. Your offerings are sacred. Honour the Lord with your substance.
Your giving should be motivated by Love, not greed. If your primary reason for giving is to multiply you money, your motive is wrong. The Lord judges our motives and weighs our actions.
In Genesis, the Lord first accepted Abel, then accepted his offering. Our hearts are more important to the Lord than our offerings. If your heart is wrong, your offering, just like Cain’s, will be rejected.
The primary reason why many are not blessed is because they bring their offerings with the intention of manipulating the Lord to do something for them. We must understand that the Lord loves us and is always ready to bless us. When we worship Him with our substance, with a pure, love motivated heart, then there is a release of grace and favour on our lives. Such release will open doorways of opportunity in our lives.